Reading Ghostly Tales Aloud


One way to cultivate and enrich the moral imagination is the reading of good stories. On Hallowe'en, we regularly gather at the house of some friends of ours after tricks and treats. For the last two years, we've read ghostly tales aloud. It started the first year with a story I had written. Last year, three of us read original tales, and I read some short ghostly fiction for the little people. This year, I don't think anyone has any original tales to offer, but I've selected a few stories to read, and may add a few more before the witching hour. I hope to read one of my favorites, appropriate for all ages, Walter R. Brooks's tale, "Jimmy Takes Vanishing Lessons," which I read and loved as a boy. I highly recommend reading sound ghostly tales aloud with family and friends as a way to help renew and enrich relationships, and grow your moral imagination. Happy Hallowe'en!

Popular posts from this blog

Source of the Butlerian Jihad in the Dune Universe

Place, Mood, and Character in Washington Irving's Ghostly Tale, "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow"

The October Country